12.31.2012

A Dish Best Served... Never.

I married into a wonderful family with a rather horrifying tradition: Lutefisk.

What's that? Well, you can click on the word 'lutefisk' above for the real definition, but I'm pretty partial to Jeffrey Steingarten's synopsis during a 1999 interview:

"Lutefisk is not food, it is a weapon of mass destruction. It is currently the only exception for the man who ate everything. Otherwise, I am fairly liberal: I gladly eat worms and insects, but I draw the line on lutefisk.
What is special with lutefisk?
Lutefisk is the Norwegians' attempt at conquering the world. When they discovered that Viking raids didn't give world supremacy, they invented a meal so terrifying, so cruel, that they could scare people to become one's subordinates."
Nate's family calls it "Christmas Fish"... as if that makes it any cuter. Don't believe it could be so bad? Check out this little Christmas Eve plate action filmed from the plate of yours truly:
Any strange-but-true food traditions in your family? Tell me I'm not alone here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say, but comments including spam links will be deleted.