9.05.2013

Back Yard Yield

It's a backyard mini-harvest 'round here. What is it that's so magical about walking into your own yard and picking a fresh snack? I don't know, but I love it.
The tomatoes I can't keep my hands off of, but there are too many plums to just hork down... What to do? Why, plum coffee cake of course:
It may not look spectacular, but I can't even tell you how good it is. So! Make your own (recipe via BigOven.com - I use the app and use it all. the. time. Go download it immediately.):

Ingredients:
1/4C margarine
3/4C sugar
2 eggs, separated
1 1/2C all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2C skim milk
2C halved and pitted ripe plums (that's about 10 plums if they're the small,
                                                            backyard-tree kind I use)

Topping:
1/2C packed brown sugar (dark is best)
1 tbsp margarine
1 tsp cinnamon

How-To:
Preheat oven to 350°.
Grease a 9 inch pan. Cream together margarine, sugar, and egg yolks until fluffy. Combine flour and baking powder; beat into egg mixture alternately with milk. Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry; fold into batter. Turn into prepared pan. Arrange plums over top.
Combine topping ingredients brown sugar, margarine, and cinnamon. Mix well (aka: squish it up with your fingers) and sprinkle over fruit. Bake 35 to 45 minutes until top of cake is lightly browned and fruit is soft.

Delicious warm, cold, or anywhere in between. Have at it, kids. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say, but comments including spam links will be deleted.